Puff Pastry Appetizers – Savory Rolls with Ham & Cheese
About the savory puff pastry appetizers
These puff pastry appetizers really fit every occasion. The best thing about the puff pastry recipe is that it’s easy, quick, and cheap to make. You only need a few ingredients, which you can also modify as you like.
The herb cream cheese serves as a “glue” for the filling of ham and cheese. However, it also makes the puff pastry rolls juicy. Whether you want to mix cream cheese or rather crème fraîche with herbs is up to you.
The filling can also vary: from lean ham cubes and cheese to a vegetarian version. But I wouldn’t do without the cheese, as it makes the puff pastry appetizers especially juicy, crispy, and delicious.
Preparing savory puff pastry rolls – ingredients you will need:
- Puff pastry
- Ham or Bacon
- Herb cream cheese
- Egg yolk
For the puff pastry, I use a puff pastry roll from the refrigerated section. The puff pastry from the freezer is a bit too small for our purposes and also needs to thaw first. The puff pastry roll is much more practical and has an ideal size.
For the ham, I like to use the lean and already diced variety.
Gouda cheese works very well as it has a nice mild, creamy flavor and develops a great crust. This makes the puff pastry rolls juicy inside and crispy outside.
Cream cheese is great for the filling. I use herb cream cheese here, as the filling is already mixed with herbs and spices.
If you don’t like your food too salty, I would recommend using a bit less ham or making your own mixture from plain cream cheese, herbs, and ground black pepper.
While theoretically you could skip brushing the pastry with egg yolk, it gives the puff pastry a beautiful golden brown color.
Puff Pastry Appetizers - Savory with Ham & Cheese
- 1 sheet puff pastry - refrigerated
- 3 oz (100 g) herb cream cheese
- 3 oz (100 g) lean ham or bacon - diced
- 4 oz (125 g) grated cheese - gouda, cheddar or mozzarella
- 1 egg yolk
- Roughly mix herb cream cheese, diced ham, and grated cheese together.
- Unroll the puff pastry and spread the filling on top using a knife. Leave some space on the long sides and let the filling reach the edges on the shorter sides.
- Starting from one long side, roll up the pastry. Use a fork to seal the edge. Cut the roll into 16-20 slices and place them flat on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Separate an egg and brush the edges of each pastry slice with the egg yolk using a pastry brush, leaving the top and bottom uncoated.
- Bake at 400 °F (200 °C) for about 20 minutes until golden brown.