Greek Orzo Pasta Salad with Feta – Quick and Easy
What is Orzo?
Orzo is a versatile pasta shape that resembles small grains of rice. These Greek noodles are also known as Kritharaki or Risoni.
Traditionally made from durum wheat semolina, they have a pleasantly chewy texture. Their compact shape allows them to absorb sauces and flavors well, making them perfect for salads, soups, or as a side dish.
Ingredients for my Quick Orzo Pasta Salad
- Orzo Pasta: These small rice-shaped noodles are the main component of the salad, providing a pleasant and chewy texture. They absorb the flavors of the other ingredients well, making them the perfect base for the salad. Alternative: Orzo or Risoni.
- Cucumber adds freshness and a crunchy bite to the salad.
- Cherry tomatoes give the Orzo Pasta Salad a sweet, fruity note and add color and texture.
- Feta cheese is essential for this salad as it provides a salty and savory flavor, along with a creamy and rich element.
- Red onion adds a pleasant spiciness and a slight sweetness to the salad.
- Dried oregano and fresh basil give the salad a Mediterranean, aromatic, and savory taste.
Simple and Quick Lemon Dressing
Greek Pasta Salad: Summery Side Dish or Light Main Course
My Orzo Pasta Salad is versatile and can be enjoyed as a side dish with grilled meat or fish, or as a standalone dish for a light lunch or dinner.
In any case, this Greek Pasta Salad brings fresh flavors and a light consistency, making it perfect for hot summer days!
Orzo Pasta Salad with Feta
Orzo Pasta Salad
- 9 oz (250 g) dry orzo pasta
- 1 English cucumber
- 2.5 cups (400 g) cherry tomatoes
- 6 oz (175 g) feta cheese
- 1 red onion
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- fresh basil
- 4 tbsp oil - rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice - ½ lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp sugar - or honey
- 2 pinches of salt and ground black pepper
- First, cook the Orzo pasta until it's al dente. Follow the package instructions. Then, drain the pasta in a colander and give it a good rinse with cold water. Let it drain for a short while.
- Next, it's time to wash the vegetables. Start by quartering the cucumber lengthwise, then cut it into large pieces. Halve the cherry tomatoes. Peel the red onion and thinly slice it. As for the feta cheese, you can dice it finely or crumble it over the salad later.
- Now, let's prepare the dressing. Mix together the oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, pressed garlic, sugar or honey, salt, and pepper. Make sure all the ingredients are well combined.
- In a suitable bowl, combine the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, and feta cheese. Sprinkle dried oregano over the feta. Add the drained pasta and the dressing to the bowl. Mix everything well, ensuring that all the ingredients are evenly coated. If needed, adjust the seasoning with additional salt and lemon juice.
- Finally, slice some fresh basil leaves into thin strips. Serve the Orzo Pasta Salad with these basil strips. Enjoy your refreshing and delicious salad!