Creamy German Potato Salad with Mayo & Gherkins (Best Recipe)
About this Authentic German Potato Salad
Delicious and creamy, this easy German potato salad is a true classic that everyone adores. Made with boiled potatoes, broth, onions, chopped gherkins, and fresh chives in a dressing of mustard and mayonnaise, it evokes all the flavors of spring and summer.
It’s aromatic and flavorful, a perfect addition to your barbecue lineup or for any party. Feel free to modify it by adding eggs, bacon, or even crisp radishes for a truly heavenly side dish.
Ingredients for this Creamy Potato Salad Recipe
To make this recipe, all you need are a few simple ingredients from your kitchen:
Potatoes: You can’t make a potato salad without them! These will be boiled to get that soft and indulgent texture.
Gherkins: Chopped gherkins give this classic potato salad a bit of texture and bite. You’ll also want to reserve some of that flavorful water from the jar for the dressing.
Onion: A little onion adds a nice pungent contrast to your German potato salad.
Vegetable Stock: You can use the powder mixed with a little water or use ready-made vegetable stock. Either one will add more savory flavor.
Mustard: This ingredient provides the charming yellow color that German potato salad is known for.
Mayonnaise: Mixed in with the mustard, mayonnaise helps create that creamy dressing to coat your ingredients for a sublime taste.
Fresh Chives: These fresh herbs bring another layer of flavor, plus they brighten up this side with a pop of green color.
How To Make Creamy German Potato Salad
This recipe couldn’t be any easier to throw together before your guests arrive!
First, you’ll boil the potatoes with their skins on for 20 to 25 minutes. Rinse them with cold water, then peel and cut into thick slices, allowing them to cool.
While the potatoes cool down, chop up your onion. You’ll be adding this to a pot of boiling vegetable stock, letting it simmer for a few minutes. You’ll then add the gherkin water and pour this broth over your potatoes. Let them get a good soak in that for 15 to 20 minutes.
When your potatoes are soaking, you can cut up the gherkins. You’ll mix the mayonnaise and mustard together, then chop up the chives.
Finally, once the potatoes have cooled, you’ll combine them with the other ingredients. Season with salt and pepper if desired, then cover and allow to chill before serving. Be sure you get a taste before your guests devour it all!
Creamy German Potato Salad with Mayo
- 2.5 lbs (1 kg) yellow potatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/2 cup (100 ml) vegetable broth
- 4 oz (100 g) sweet pickled gherkins
- 8 tbsp gherkin water
- 0.6 cup (125 g) mayonnaise
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- Fresh chives
- Salt and pepper - as desired for taste
- Boil the potatoes with the skin on in a large pot with plenty of salted water for 20-25 minutes or until they are fork tender. Rinse them under cold water, then peel. Cut them into thick slices and put them in a large salad bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion into small cubes. In a small pot, bring vegetable broth to a boil with the onion cubes. Let it simmer for 3 minutes. Then stir in the gherkin water.
- Pour this broth over the potatoes and let them soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Next, quarter the gherkins lengthwise and cut them into small cubes. Mix the mayonnaise with the mustard. Chop the fresh chives and set aside.
- When the potatoes have cooled down, carefully mix all the ingredients together, chill and enjoy. Season with salt and pepper if needed.