Greek Salad with Cucumber, Tomato & Feta (Healthy Recipe)
About this Greek Salad Recipe
When you need a bountiful salad to go with your meal, make this Greek Salad for a healthy side dish everyone will want to eat. You could even make it as a main dish for a light lunch or dinner, flanked with some soup for good measure.
What I love about this salad is that it’s crunchy, full of flavor, colorful, and refreshing. How many times have you grown tired of eating salad because it seems like the same old thing over and over?
If you’re trying to find a way to get in more nutrition with your meals or add a healthy side to your summer barbecue, this salad is the one you’ll come back to every time!
Ingredients for simple Greek Salad
English Cucumber: This type of cucumber has less seeds, making it an excellent choice for your salad.
Tomatoes: Ripe tomatoes are a treat in salads. Go with vine-ripened or roma for the best results.
Bell Pepper: Choose any color and you’ll get that beautiful flavor and visually-appealing appearance.
Red Onion: Onions in salad bring a contrast of flavor to the other veggies, and red onions offer keep this salad colorful.
Feta Cheese: Now for something slightly indulgent but still good for you. Feta cheese adds creamy notes throughout the salad.
Black Olives: These are optional, but they do make it more Greek.
Oregano: I add this to the salad itself before the dressing so it clings to the cheese.
Dressing: I make my simple salad dressing with canola oil though you can choose olive oil if you prefer. I mix it with fresh lemon juice rather than vinegar, along with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
How To Make this Recipe
In just 15 minutes, you can have this salad on the side of any meal. While everything else cooks, here’s how to make it!
Greek Salad with Cucumber, Tomato & Feta
- 1/2 fresh long English cucumber
- 2 - 3 (250 g) tomatoes - slicing or roma varieties
- 1 bell pepper - any color
- 1 red onion
- 6 oz (175 g) feta cheese - crumbled
- Black olives - optional
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil - canola or olive oil is best
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice - about ½ a lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the vegetables into large chunks. Halve the cucumber lengthwise and slice it into broad pieces. Halve the tomatoes, remove the stems, quarter them, and cut into large cubes. Remove the core of the bell pepper and cut it into large cubes. Peel the red onion, halve it, and cut it into half rings.
- Place the vegetables in a large salad bowl, add the crumbled feta on top, and sprinkle with dried oregano so that it sticks to the cheese. Add the black olives, if using.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon, and mix 2 tablespoons of it with the oil, salt, and black pepper to make a dressing. Pour the dressing over the salad, gently mixing everything together, and serve.